For the Ghent Centre for Digital Humanities (GhentCDH) and the Faculty of Arts and Humanities (Ghent University) we are looking for a full time application developer.
The Ghent Centre for Digital Humanities is an inter-disciplinary research centre facilitating digitally-enabled research in the arts and humanities at Ghent University and beyond. In line with DARIAH standards and best practices, the GhentCDH currently focuses on four services: (1) collaborative databases, (2) digital text annotation and analysis, (3) geospatial analysis and (4) general digital humanities support.
- You are an all-round application developer within the Ghent Centre for Digital Humanities and the IT Department of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities
- You will work closely together with the research unit Database, Document and Content Management and the Internet Technology and Data Science Lab (Faculty of Engineering)
- You will become responsible for:
- The design, development and support of database systems for humanities researchers
- Coding of intuitive search interfaces
- Development of scalable modular solutions
- Linked data digital ecosystems
Knowledge and experience
- You are fluent in English and preferably in Dutch (spoken and written)
- You have extensive experience in designing and developing databases, web and database-driven applications
- You have experience with search technology and configuration: Elasticsearch, Solr, etc.
- Experience with Linked Data (RDF), data modeling (ontologies) and data exchange formats is an asset
- Experience with PostGIS is an asset
- Experience with Drupal 8 is an asset
Competences and attitudes
- You are interested in working in a multi-disciplinary expert team
- You have good communication skills
- You are flexible
- You have a problem solving and positive attitude
- You have a hands on mentality
- You have a master degree in information sciences, computer sciences or engineering
- You have a bachelor degree with at least 5 years of relevant experience
You will be employed in a contract of indefinite duration in function class A with a salary in accordance with the UGent salary scales 7.1 to 9.2, determined by your relevant experience at the level of the position. Salary at 100 %: min. € 21.278,78 – max. € 40.955,09; indexed gross monthly salary (at 164,06 %): min. € 2.909,16 – max. € 5.599,24.
All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as 38 days of paid leave, a wide range of training and education opportunities, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits can be found on http://www.ugent.be/nl/vacatures/personeelsvoordelen.htm
The selection procedure consists of a CV and motivation letter screening, an eliminating assessment (master level) and a job interview with a selection committee. You will be informed about your application in each step of the process. We find it important that every candidate can take the tests in the best circumstances. Do you have a disability? Please let the recruiter know (09 264 34 36) so we can make the necessary adjustments. For more information regarding this selection procedure, please contact the recruitment office on the following number: 09 264 34 36. For more information about the content of the function please contact professor Verbruggen via Christophe.Verbruggen@UGent.be.
How to apply
Please send us your application before the 26th of June 2017 at 23.59h using our online application tool (here). Make sure you upload all required documents:
- your CV
- a motivation letter
- a copy of your highest degree (for diplomas obtained abroad, except for The Netherlands, we need an equivalence : NARIC)
We do not accept late or incomplete applications. The admission requirements have to be met on the final application date.
Ghent University is a world on its own. It employs over 8.000 staff members working every day in education and research, management and administration, technical and social facilities. For them, Ghent University is an obvious choice: it is one of the largest, most fascinating and future-oriented employers in the area. Ghent University consists of 11 faculties and more than 100 departments, offering high-quality research-supported courses in all their scientific disciplines. Ghent University actively pursues an equal opportunities and diversity policy and encourages anyone to apply for a job.