As a Founding Member of DARIAH-EU, the Digital Research Infrastructure for the Arts and Humanities, the aim of DARIAH-BE is to offer a sustainable portfolio of services enabling digital scholarship in the arts and humanities. To realise this DARIAH partner institutions are encouraged to establish Digital Humanities Research Centres which together form a humanities-specific digital ecosystem, offering services both within their own institutions and to other institutions in Belgium and beyond.
At the level of government administration, the National Representing Entity of Belgium in DARIAH-EU is Belgian Science Policy Office (BELSPO), with Chris De Loof as the Belgian National Representative and represents Belgium on the DARIAH-ERIC General Assembly. The Belgian National Representative works closely with the National Representatives from the Department of Economy, Science and Innovation of the Flemish Government (EWI) – Bart Dumolyn and the Department of Scientific Research of the Federation Wallonia-Brussels (FWB) – Marc Vanholsbeeck. Additionally DARIAH-BE falls under the responsibility of the Social Science and Humanities Research Infrastructures Concertation Group for Horizon 2020 of the International Cooperation Commission (CIS-INFRA-SSH). This is an advisory body of the high-level representatives of the research administration. The contact person for CIS-INFRA-SSH is Aziz Naji.
The scientific and technical activities of DARIAH in Belgium are coordinated by the three consortia:
DARIAH in Flanders (DARIAH-VL)
- Ghent University: Prof. Dr. Christophe Verbruggen (Coordinator: DARIAH-VL and DARIAH-BE National Coordinator)
- KU Leuven: Prof. Dr. Mark Depauw, Department of Ancient History
- University of Antwerp: Prof. Dr. Dirk Van Hulle, Department of Literature
- Université catholique de Louvain: Prof. Dr. Paul Bertrand, Department of History (Coordinator: DARIAH-FWB)
- Université de Liège: Dr. Björn-Olav Dozo, Centre Informatique de Philosophie et Lettres
- Université Libre de Bruxelles: Prof. Dr. Seth van Hooland, Information and Communication Sciences
- Royal Institute for Cultural Heritage: Erik Buelinckx (Coordinator: DARIAH-FED)
- Royal Library of Belgium: Frederic Lemmers
- State Archives of Belgium: Johan van der Eycken
- Royal Museum for Central Africa: Patricia Mergen
- Royal Museums for Art and Art History: Hendrik Hameeuw
- Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium: Ellen Van Keer