Towards the integration of digital competences in the Faculty of Arts and Philosophy
The educational innovation project ‘Leerlijn digitale geletterdheid. Naar een verankering van digitale competenties in de geesteswetenschappen’ fits GhentCDH’s long-term ambition to structurally embed the Digital Humanities’ manifold methods and tools across Ghent University’s Faculty of Arts and Philosophy for research, educational and science communication purposes. This educational initiative aims to provide information, support and training for the faculty’s departments, teachers and students. The project comprises three main goals:
- To create and foster the use of a shared faculty-wide framework for basic and advanced digital competences based on the Digital Humanities Scholarly Primitives Model. This framework allows departments to develop a coherent digital learning trajectory in their undergraduate and graduate programmes. For this process, assistance is also provided by the Faculty Library.
- To develop three blended-learning modules on Information Management, Digital Text Analysis and Spatial Humanities. These discipline-independent modules are rendered accessible via the university’s online learning platform Ufora and answer to different levels of expertise. They target teachers, students and researchers. The modules permit an independent or integrated use and an exhaustive or partial use. They can also be customized and/or extended by teachers according to their expertise or needs.
- To explore the possible approach to and contents of an advanced elective masters course on Digital Humanities.
The 15 transdisciplinary digital competences (basic + advanced level) of UGent's faculty of Arts and Philosophy can be consulted in Dutch and English in two formats:
- 15 digital competences (pdf: instructions and overview)
- 15 digital competences (Excel: tabular overview)
- More on the faculty-wide Ufora course Digital Humanities: Leerpaden you can read in this 'Onderwijstip' (Dutch)
- The project was also presented in the video webinar 'Digitale Geletterdheid in het curriculum integreren? Van theorie naar praktijk' (Dutch, 48 min) during the Seminaries Onderwijskunde: Doordacht Digitaal (2021, Associatie Universiteit Gent)